Change & Transformation are at the core of what MY NU WAYS! Programs does and stands for.
We learned that the Change Curve describes the natural human response to change in a common way. However it is usually a very personal and individual one – regardless if facing good or bad change. It could take only seconds for some people to recognize any variation in their emotions when experiencing disruptive sudden change. For others, it might take longer – some hours, days, months. This is not a linear or step by step process either. It all depends on our personal resilience and on how we cope with sudden changes.
Know the Change Curve to take Counter Actions
So what does this mean for us in real life to know the Change Curve?
Knowing the Change Curve allows us to:
- understand that humans naturally strive for control and predictability. Humans tend to not like change per se – no matter if it’s good or bad change. They would rather keep the status quo.
- accept that many things are out of our control range – and we can only control how to cope with and respond to it.
acknowledge our emotional turmoil when we get impacted by a sudden change. It is totally fine to be emotional when facing change. And since we know the Change Curve now we can try to get an outside look on it and map out where we are on the curve currently and take counter actions with the intent to ease the transition and adaption to change. Same applies when we want to help others go through change.
We will cover in this blog article the counter actions that you can apply to yourself to help you smoother moving forward or to others to support their transition through negatively perceived and possibly even threatening change.
Emotional Support to and Influence to overcame negative Change
Let’s discuss the possible counter actions to support and influence to overcome negative change impacts following along the Change Curve we know already.
- SHOCK: Show empathy.
- DENIAL: Encourage CAUTIOUS reality testing.
- FRUSTRATION: Legitimize feelings: It’s ok.
- DEPRESSION: Encouraging support with solution focus
- TESTING: Nurture the spark of positivity!
- ACCEPTANCE: Appreciation and congratulations.
Progress is impossible without Change
So let’s summarize the take aways:
- Progress is impossible without change
- Know the Change Curve – Be able to map the Status!! And also know how to support others in these different change phases.
- Ask the right questions that enable and encourage reflection and own problem solving. Our MY NU WAYS! Business are designed to help you in these situations. The programs coach you through change, but thes also enable you to build the communication / Coaching skill, resilience, influence and mindset you need in order to thrive and prosper in this ever changing world- and to become an Agent of Change and Change Influencer!
- Don’t be a stranger! Ask us a question if you need more information! We will be exited to chat with you!
In the last part of the Transformation blog post series we will discuss what counter actions are useful to support and influence for positive change. Yes, believe it or not – humans also refuse often to take on positive change…
So stay tuned! See you soon! Stay safe, healthy and optimistic!
Melanie & Angelika